archive recent posts FOLLOW BLOG
/ Thursday 11 February 2016 @01:47 /


"Who's influenced you the most in your life?"
"My principal, Ms. Lopez."
"How has she influenced you?"
"When we get in trouble, she doesn't suspend us. She calls us to her office and explains to us how society was built down around us. And she tells us that each time somebody fails out of school, a new jail cell gets built. And one time she made every student stand up, one at a time, and she told each one of us that we matter."
For followers of Humans of New York, this should be a familiar photograph. I thought I would share it because this is what encouraged me to pursue teaching. A lot of people have asked me "Why teaching?", especially since I had little interest in pursuing before this year*. I knew I wanted to do a career where I could help people and sure there are a lot of careers that do that, teaching is one where you could see the direct results of your actions and you also have a much larger reach.

After seeing this picture, it didn't immediately encourage me to pursue teaching but it did make me more aware of the efforts of my teachers. A teacher's combined passion, not only for their teaching area but, for their students that inspired me to go into teaching. Helping people has always been one of the main factors in choosing a career and I think becoming a teacher is one of the best ways I could possibly do that. I feel this way because I don't think a good teacher is one that teaches well because in the end all people are different and I feel like it's impossible to teach in such a way that will benefit all students. I think being a teacher is more of a learning experience. It's learning the needs of each student and learning ways in which you can benefit these students in the long run. By a teacher learning such things this, in turn, becomes a valuable experience for your students.

As well as wanting to help people I have a huge passion for history, not only because the events and personalities fascinate me (although that is a huge part of it), but because it says so much about humanity and the human condition. The changes in history say a lot about the changes in society and I personally believe it's a subject that helps you to understand people.
((I'm such a history geek it hurts))

Right now, I'm majoring in English and minoring in History. It would've been the reverse but because I want to get my TESOL accreditation I have to gain a certain amount of either, English or language credit points, so I thought it would be better to be safe than sorry and decided to major in English.
(this is a ridiculously long sentence HOW AM I GOING TO BE AN ENGLISH TEACHER)

This is another long post, sorry if I've been babbling. I wanted to share why I wanted to go into teaching but I feel like I just went crazy and just wrote everything that came to my head. And sorry again if this is all sorts of grammatically incorrect like I said I kinda just word vomited in the hopes it would make moderate sense.

*I wrote a draft for this last year and I was too lazy to rephrase the sentence whoops



◄ Older Posts Newer Posts ►
Hello
ADV // 20
contents © (https://anxious-ash.blogspot.com.au/) 2011